এনজিও চাকরির খবর
Job title: Bangladesh – Deputy Country Director for Programs – Cox’s Bazar
Company: Solidarités International
- Job number: SRH03609
- Domaine de competence: Regional Coordination / Head of Mission
- Statut: Salarié
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Country: Bangladesh
- Contract Type: Short term contract
About the mission …
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 12 months renewable
Location: Cox’s Bazar
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) opened its mission in Bangladesh at the end of 2007, following cyclone SIDR.
SI’s intervention and strategy in Bangladesh is to address primary needs of crisis affected people in terms of food security, livelihood, disaster risk reduction (DRR), water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH) by making use of inclusive approaches and by taking into account the effects of climate change, whilst working in parallel on mid-long term resilience strategies.
SI supports displaced people and affected communities immediately after a disaster through the distribution of various kits, cash for work, emergency access to safe drinking water) and in the early recovery phase by livelihood activities, reconstruction of dwellings, etc. SI’s programs build the communities resilience towards future hazard events, this includes how to evacuate people and possessions as soon as possible, how to protect villages and fields by building small-scale infrastructures (dykes, causeways), and how to incorporate adaptive coping strategies for farmers by establishing agricultural practices and livelihoods that are less vulnerable to natural disasters. Furthermore, SI’s 2020 strategy for Bangladesh has a three-pronged approach focusing on:
- Response to the protracted IDPs crisis with equitable basic services delivery through integrated programming for host and refugee communities;
- Strengthening the resilience of vulnerable communities to recurrent shocks and community-led advocacy for responsiveness, accountability and transparency in the access to resources;
- Enhancing access to services through inclusive programming;
The development and changes within Bangladesh require a variety of interventions. SI will need to retain its capacity to respond rapidly in the face of an emergency whilst focusing on mid-term and longer-term development goals.
About the job
In close collaboration with the Country Director (CD), the DCD’s prime objectives are to provide leadership and management of the strategic programming, overseeing the strengthening of SI’s program development, quality and accountability. The DCD ensures the internal coherence between program activities and is responsible for ensuring that programs are driven by needs, based on evidence, adaptable to contextual changes and conflict sensitive, monitored closely and resourced appropriately.
The DCD is part of SI Senior Management Team, the head of office of the program coordination office in Cox’s Bazaar, and has direct line-management of the Technical Coordinators (WaSH, FSL/DRR and MEAL), Grant Manager.
- Strategic Direction
- Program Development & Quality Management
- Institutional knowledge building
- Donor, Grant, Relationship management and representation
- Head of Office Cox’s Bazaar Duties – Human Resources, Finance and Logistics
- Staff Performance Management and Development
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
Line manager: Country Director
Line report(s): Technical Coordinators, Grant Manager.
Functional manager: HQ technical unit, Desk team
Functional report(s): Field coordinators
Main challenges for the position
This position has an extreme potential in terms of leading the development and impact creation for a relatively wide portfolio of activities, which has a strong principled program positioning in the context where SI operates. The opportunity to keep developing the mission programming towards increased sustainability, innovation and inclusion oriented approaches make the role fascinating and very challenging. At the same time, the continuously changing context and heavy workload as the mission stabilizes present challenges to be addressed in practical and result-oriented ways.
In this sense, we are looking for a strong leader and manager, experienced and highly proficient in program management, innovative solution-finding, strategical analysis and external coordination/representation.
Specific stakes and challenges
- Relatively large volume of operations which will require a phase of follow-up the setting-up of improved practices as already ongoing at mission and bases level.
- Need to keep increasing the quality and development of new approaches / innovation in a beneficiary-oriented perspective and closely involving field teams.
- Strategically coordinate the technical coordinators in finding constructive and practical ways to support base team to overcome challenges and develop programs
- Important role in the focus of incorporating protection and DRR mainstreaming across activities while increasing programming integration
- Heavy representational duties with donors and humanitarian coordination forums
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Operationalization of the 2020 programming strategy
- Ensure strong project-cycle-management and technical monitoring tools are in place and followed-up
Support the operationalization of clear IM and MEAL systems throughout the mission;
Education: Master’s degree is in a relevant field (social sciences, developmental studies, etc.) or Bachelor’s degree with minimum 6 years of relevant experience.
- Substantial experience in a senior management position in an overseas NGO environment, ideally in both emergency and developmental contexts;
- Experience in designing and leading strategy development;
- Experience of program and strategy implementation in different sectors: WASH and/or food security – livelihood and/or DRR – Climate change adaptation, and / or protection integration;
- Experience in leading program development across multiple bases with multiple donors, preferably with knowledge of using contextual understanding and evidence to strategically guide the missions’ development;
- Experience of managing large teams in multiple locations with various problematics;
- Experience in Donor relations, (ECHO, OFDA, SDC, UN, BPRM, EuropeAid);
- Previous experience in South Asia considered as an asset;
- Previous experience with SI would be an added value.
Technical skill and competence:
- Extensive knowledge about project cycle management and monitoring tools (good understanding of MEAL systems highly desirable);
- An ability to reflect on and learn from own performance and the performance of the program; and to act upon that learning;
- An ability to analyze information quickly and accurately;
- Good problem solving skills in day to day and crisis situations;
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines;
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office, Excel;
- Extensive report writing skills in English;
- Strong representation / public relation skills.
- Strong team leader skills and aptitude to build up efficient working relationships with colleagues from different functions and cultures.
Languages: excellent English, written and spoken is essential
Si will offer you
A salaried post: according to experience from 2860 euros gross per month (2600 base salary + 10% annual leave).
Per Diem of 450 USD.
Social and medical cover: International staffs benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website:
Security context and living conditions:
The office and guesthouse in Dhaka, Cox and Teknaf are comfortable, well located in terms of security, adapted to SI team’s needs, and assuring to international staff the minimum standard in terms of privacy and comfort. The working environment is positive and the context, differently in each location, give some opportunities of social life, especially in Cox’s Bazar, one of the most touristic cities of the country, hosting the majority of humanitarian actors.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
Location: Cox’s Bazar, Chittagong
Job date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 06:27:15 GMT
Apply for the job now!