A web designer works with initial planning, design, and user experience (UX) to create different websites and applications. You will need technical and non-technical skills to work in this profession. At present, there is a huge demand for this profession in Bangladesh and abroad.
A web designer gets a lot of opportunities to work independently in addition to working in different industries. The need for education may vary from institution to institution.
But having an institutional degree in web design is convenient for getting a job.
A web designer at a glance
General Title: Web Designer
Category: Computers and Internet
Type of organization: government, private firm/company, freelancing, others
Career type: Part-time, full time
Level: Entry, Mid, Top
Experience limit: work and organization dependent
Possible Salary Limit at Entry Level: 25,000 – Depending on job, organization, and experience
Possible age limit: Institutional
Key Skills: Coding, Design and Graphics
Special skills: creativity, analytical ability, problem-solving skills
Questions related to the profession of a web designer
- Where does a web designer work?
- What kind of work does a web designer do?
- What are the qualifications of a web designer?
- What skills and knowledge does a web designer need to have?
- Where to learn web design?
- What is the monthly income of a web designer?
- What is the career of a web designer?
- Where does a web designer work?
We will try to answer all your queries here.
Where does a web designer work?
IT companies and firms have the largest field of work for web designers. There are relatively few direct job opportunities in government and non-government organizations.
Of course, these companies usually give IT-related work to software and developer companies in the form of projects. So it is not a problem for web designers to build a reliable career.
What kind of work does a web designer do?
The work of a web designer varies according to the organization. The type of website and application is also an important determinant.
Types of work that web designers usually do –
- Take a clear idea of the client’s needs and keep in touch until the work is done;
- Creating a preliminary layout of a webpage / website / application;
- Designing graphics, animation or digital photography for the project;
- Presenting the initial design to the client;
- Write the required code;
- Work with content management systems if needed;
- Adjust the design of the website / application with the project or organization;
- Editing various contents of webpages / applications and repeatedly verifying their effectiveness;
- Handing over the project to the client after completion of work;
- Provide technical assistance to the client later if required.
What are the qualifications of a web designer?
Work skills and knowledge are the most important things in web design than formal education. Even then, if you have a degree in the following subjects, an employer can get a good idea of your qualifications at an early stage –
- Computer science
- Web design
- Graphic design;
- Multimedia design;
- Digital media production;
- Information technology;
- Software engineering.
Whether you have an institutional qualification or not, having a work portfolio increases the acceptability of a web designer.
If you are learning web design through various short courses or on your own, it is very important for you to have a portfolio. The same is true of designers with degrees.
What skills and knowledge does a web designer need to have?
The type of technical knowledge depends on the project. The following skills can be used as general examples:
- Design and Graphics: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Content Management Systems: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla
Many companies do some web development work with web designers, so you need to have an idea about the coding of applications (such as PHP, Python).
Notable among the non-technical knowledge is –
- Ability to solve problems in creative ways and logically;
- Analytical ability, which can help in observing the nuances;
- Having the mentality of working on oneself as well as working with others;
- Ability to handle different types of work together.
Where to learn web design in Bangladesh?
You can take Honors-Masters degrees in Computer Science and Engineering, Computer System Design, or Information Systems from various public-private universities.
Alternatively you can take courses on the following topics from a private educational institution –
- Web design and development;
- Multimedia design;
- User experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design;
- Digital imaging;
What is the monthly income of a web designer in Bangladesh?
In our country, the average monthly income of an experienced or inexperienced web designer is Tk. 25,000. If you go abroad, which can be from Tk. 400,000 to Tk. 600,000 or more per month.
Freelancing can earn an average of $10-15 per hour. But there is no substitute for having an excellent portfolio.
How is the career of a web designer?
In the beginning, You will find only project-dependent small or medium size work, but in four-five years you will be promoted to the position of a senior web designer.
In this case, you will have the opportunity to work with large-scale projects or large-scale clients. You can also run your own team based on your skills and non-technical knowledge.
You can also serve others as a consultant.
Web designing needs years of practice to learn and implement. If you have the intention and love for this work you will find it more easier than someone who is just thinking about earning money through this work.
In Bangladesh there are not too many web designers out there. so the scope of work is huge.