A gynecologist diagnoses and treats various diseases related to the female reproductive system. She also provides counseling on maternal problems and the necessary initiatives for neonatal delivery.
A gynecologist at a glance
General Title: Gynecologist, gynecologist, gynecologist and obstetrician
Category: Health and medical
Organization Type: Public, private, private firms/companies
Career type: Part-time, full time
Potential experience limits at mid level: 5-6 years
Possible average salary at mid level: ৳ 36,000 – 8,000
Possible age range at mid level: Not applicable
Key Skills: In-depth knowledge of the female reproductive system, accurate diagnostic skills, adequate treatment of the patient, proficiency in surgery, good knowledge of medicine and medical technology
Special Skills: Having service mentality, patience, communication skills
Questions about the profession of gynecologist
- Where does a gynecologist work?
- What kind of work does a gynecologist do?
- What are the qualifications of a gynecologist?
- What kind of skills and knowledge does a gynecologist need to have?
- Where to study gynecology?
- What is the monthly income of a gynecologist?
- What can a gynecologist’s career look like?
Where does a gynecologist work?
- Government hospitals and medical centers (e.g., Maternal and Child Welfare Centers)
- Private hospitals, clinics and health centers
What kind of work does a gynecologist do?
- Diagnosing and treating female reproductive system diseases (e.g., menstrual problems);
- Providing medical assistance during childbirth and performing surgery if necessary;
- Perform surgery to perform abortions as needed;
- Surgery for complex problems of the female reproductive system (e.g., hysterectomy or removal of the uterus);
- Giving advice on birth control;
- Advising on the elimination of infertility;
- If the wife has cancer of the reproductive system, treat her and seek the help of a cancer specialist if necessary.
What are the qualifications of a gynecologist?
Educational Qualifications: To work as a gynecologist, you must be a doctor with a 5-year MBBS degree from a college approved by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council. As well as having a degree in gynecology required. E.g.
What kind of skills and knowledge does a gynecologist need to have?
- Deep knowledge of the female reproductive system;
- Knowledge of modern medicine of the female reproductive system;
- Knowledge of birth control and infertility;
- Skills in controlling labor complications;
- Skills in surgery.
Needed as well –
- The ability to communicate sincerely with the patient;
- Stress management skills.
Where to study gynecology?
After passing MBBS, it is possible to get MS (Master of Surgeon) degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU). Basically, you have to complete the degree in 2 steps. The first stage takes 2 years and the second stage takes 3 years.
What is the monthly income of a gynecologist?
A gynecologist working in Government Medical College Hospital or District Sadar Hospital gets salary of different grades on the basis of rank. E.g.
|Associate Professor or Senior Consultant||Grade 4|
|Assistant Professor or Junior Consultant||Grade 8|
As an Assistant Professor / Junior Consultant, according to Grade 7, the monthly salary is ৳ 36,000 – ৳ 8,000.
It is possible to earn a good amount of money by seeing patients and performing surgeries temporarily in private hospitals and clinics. Outside of that many live with their own chambers. In this case, the fee per patient is ৳ 500 – ৳ 2000 depending on experience and location. Fee for operation ৳ 5000 – ৳ 30,000.
What can a gynecologist’s career look like?
If you want to become an expert in gynecology after passing MBBS, you have to take a higher degree in gynecology.
After joining the government hospital as a medical officer through the BCS health cadre, one can pursue a higher degree in gynecology and become an assistant professor in the gynecology department of a medical college or a junior consultant in the district headquarters hospital.
If you have been working as an Assistant Professor for at least 5-6 years, you can become an Associate Professor or Senior Consultant on the basis of skills.
From associate professor to professor one has to give proof of skill and qualification. This requires multiple research papers.
Will be able to work in various training programs of the hospital run by the Obstetric and Gynecological Society. Besides, there are job opportunities in various projects of the Ministry of Health of the government. It is also possible to build a successful career through a private hospital or private practice.