Those who want to learn the language of different countries are assisted by a language instructor. In this challenging profession, you have to work on different courses at different stages of teaching, taking exams and presentations, looking at books and allocating numbers.
A language instructor in Bangladesh at a glance
General Title: Language Instructor, Language Trainer
Organization Type: Public, private, private firms, companies, freelancing
Career type: Full-time, part-time
Possible experience limits at entry level: Work and institutional
Possible average salary at entry level: tk 20,000 – work and organization dependent
Possible age at entry level: 25-30 years
Key Skills: Linguistic skills, communication skills, teaching
Special Skills: Observation ability, cultural awareness, patience
Questions related to the profession of language instructor
- Where does a language instructor work?
- What kind of work does a language instructor do?
- What are the qualifications of a language instructor?
- What kind of skills and knowledge does a language instructor need to have?
- Where will you study if you want to be a language instructor?
- What is the monthly income of a language instructor?
- What is the career of a language instructor like?
Where does a language instructor work?
- Public-Private Foreign Language Teaching Institutions (Ex: British Council)
- Commercial Language School
- Education and Development Agency
- Government Department
- Multinational companies
- Volunteer organizations
What kind of work does a language instructor do?
- Giving regular lessons to students of related language courses;
- Taking oral and written examinations of the students of the respective languages;
- Creating new materials, including audio and visual resources;
- Planning course lectures and conducting necessary research;
- Evaluate students’ coursework and exam records;
- To act as an inspector of examinations;
- Conduct administrative work (such as: student registration and attendance records);
- Participate in conferences and seminars on language.
What are the qualifications of a language instructor in Bangladesh?
In order to work in this profession, it is not necessary to have an institutional degree in that language. But if you have done certificate or diploma course, you will get priority.
On the other hand, if you live or study in the language country for a few years, it will be very useful for you to work as a language teacher.
What kind of skills and knowledge does a language instructor need to have?
- Excellent proficiency on the relevant language
- Communication skills
- Presentation skills
- Research skills
- Accuracy in question creation and answer sheet evaluation
- Interesting personality
Having experience traveling to different countries will come in handy.
Where do you study if you want to be a language instructor in Bangladesh?
There are opportunities to take courses and get certificates in foreign languages in different institutes of the country. Such as:
- Institute of Modern Languages (IML), University of Dhaka: English, French, Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, German, Persian, Russian
- Alliance Francaise: French
- Goethe-Institute Bangladesh: German
- British Council: English
What is the monthly income of a language instructor?
Monthly income can start from tk. 20,000. Later, lakhs of rupees can be earned per month by applying experience and skills. On the other hand, in case of part-time job, you can earn according to the number of classes and exams.
What can a career as a language instructor look like?
Even if you start your career as an instructor, you can be promoted as a Team Leader, Instructional Designer, Exam Controller or Supervisor based on performance.