ঢাকার চাকরির খবর
Job title: REGIONAL LEGAL ADVISER BASED IN DHAKA (BANGLADESH)
Job description: What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The Regional Legal Adviser will have responsibility for the promotion and implementation of IHL across South Asia. While based in Dhaka, the position has time reporting to ICRC delegations in Colombo and Kabul, and the ICRC regional delegation for India, Nepal, Maldives and Bhutan.
The Regional Legal Adviser plays a key role in achieving institutional, regional and delegation objectives related to the promotion and domestic implementation of IHL and other relevant legal norms, and more broadly the creation of an environment conducive to respect for the law. S/he contributes to strengthening ICRC dialogue with national authorities and intergovernmental organizations and facilitating ICRC acceptance and operational activities.
- Supports the establishment and implementation of strategies, programmes and action plans aimed at: promoting accession to and ratification of IHL treaties and other relevant instruments; furthering the development of appropriate domestic legal and policy frameworks, as well as mechanisms for their implementation and measures to ensure protection in armed conflict and other situations of violence; monitoring related developments; and enhancing knowledge of IHL.
- Represents the ICRC in external fora and events and contributes to positioning the organization as a reference on IHL and its implementation.
- Interacts directly with government authorities, legislators and the judiciary, providing them with technical legal advice and assistance for the adoption of legal and administrative IHL implementation measures and related policies.
- Develops and maintains a network of influential institutions and individuals, in particular academics, and assists in devising strategies for mapping, attracting and mobilizing them in support of IHL and ICRC acceptance and operations.
- Works with academic circles and institutions in promoting and supporting teaching, research and debate in the field of IHL.
- Contributes to determining, and creating the framework for, ICRC humanitarian diplomacy in the region covered and IHL promotion through regional organizations.
- Facilitates sharing of expertise and good practice between delegation legal and other program officers.
- Coordinates or contributes to the collection and analysis of laws and case law, as well as States’ practice, with a view to sharing them through the ICRC’s IHL databases.
- Guides, coaches, trains, provides technical support to and acts as technical line manager for Legal Advisers 1, 2 and 3 in the delegations covered.
- Serves as the institutional legal focal point for maritime issues in support of delegations in the region.
Reports to (role)
Prevention coordinator with technical reporting line to the Advisory Service on IHL at ICRC HQ.
Desired profile and skills
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work
- Able to work under pressure in a potentially dangerous environment
- Doctorate/Master’s degree or specialization in IHL or related area of international public law (common law training and admission to the bar are assets).
- Fluent command of English, including legal drafting skills.
- Computer proficiency.
- Typically 6-8 years’ working experience in a similar function, in a law profession, government or the judicial sector, with experience in legislative drafting.
- Familiarity with domestic legal and policy frameworks, structures and procedures.
- Good knowledge of maritime / law of the sea issues, particularly as it relates to the law of armed conflict.
- ICRC work experience, including in the field, an asset.
- Pedagogical skills and experience in academic teaching and research.
- Experience in mobilizing, influencing, representing, negotiating, and organizing external events.
Our operational & field constraints
- In line with the principle of neutrality, the ICRC does not assign personnel to a country of which they are nationals;
- Candidates must be in good health and will have to do a medical check-up prior to departure in the field;
- Candidates must possess a driving license (for manual transmission vehicles);
- Candidates must be prepared to accept to be unaccompanied (i.e. no spouse, partner, children or dependents) for at least the first 6 months.
What we offer
- Rewarding work in a humanitarian and multicultural environment;
- Internal in-house trainings;
- Attractive social benefits: pension, accident and sickness insurances etc.;
- Length of assignment: 24 months on an open-ended contract;
- Family posting mission with some potential restrictions on site possible, due to the context and at least, 6 months of waiting period before the family can join;
Join an ICRC talent pool and be considered for future assignments elsewhere.
Starting date: ideally on 01/06/2021 or any date asap after this date;
Location: Dhaka (Bangladesh);
Type of position: full time
Application deadline: 02/05/2021
Job date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 22:43:35 GMT
Apply for the job now!